Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Why do I have to be right all the time?

Boo - I was right
 
The Chipmunk hasn't even reached 19.5 pounds.  In fact, he's only 19 pounds.
 
This puts him in the 5th percentile for weight - he was in the 45th at his 9 month check-up.  Why such a huge drop?
 
I'm sure this is because he can't keep most solid foods down.  If he would just quit puking, I'm sure he would put on some weight.  At the rate he's going, he will still be facing backwards in his car seat when he's 18 months old.
 
The doctor doesn't seem concerned.  His exact words - "he's a got a skinny brother, why should he be any different". 
 
Yes, his brother is skinny.  But, at least the Monkey has managed to stay on the same growth chart each time they weigh him.  The doctor didn't even appear as if he wanted to talk about it.  As soon as I brought up his eating issues and the fact that he doesn't drink as much milk as he needs to the doctor started to leave.  As I continued to talk about it, he was in the doorway of the exam room with the door open and getting ready to walk away.  That made me so angry!
 
I just don't know whether or not I should be worried.  Hubby says that since the doctor isn't worried, then neither is he - after all, the doctor has been doing this for a long time, we should trust his judgment. 
 
But what if he's wrong?  What if something is actually wrong with the Chipmunk?  I realize he hasn't lost any weight, but half a pound gain in three months?  Surely that should be sounding some alarms - at least they are for me.  I just don't know what to do about it, if anything.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to comment for the last few comments here.

    A girlfriend of mine has a daughter who is very slight and was around Chipmunks size at that age. While she doesn't have his eating challenges I wanted you to know, shes just a tiny kid.

    But. You are his mother. No one is going to have better instincts about him then you are. If something isn't sitting right with you I say you wouldn't be out of line trying to get a second opinon.

    Or a different doctor. You should be able to talk about this with your doctor and have him give you a better explaination then "my kid had that".

    You're in charge. Make them listen to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should get a second opinion. I guess I'm just afraid I'm going to get the same answer somewhere else making me feel like an idiot for worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to Blog Goddess above.

    This is YOUR baby and a mother's instincts are very, very powerful. You should never feel badly for getting a second opinion - and if anyone calls you are an idiot for worrying, so help me I'll come kick them in the shins.

    What if. WHAT IF, the new doctor sees something that your current doctor didn't? Then, you'll be so thankful that you listened to your heart and sought out that second opinion.

    And if the new doctor tells you that everything is progressing fine - (I hope that's the case) - than maybe you can rest easier.

    But, if you're still not comfortable, get a third opinion. Or fourth, until YOU are satisfied.

    ReplyDelete